Daycares, Community Group Homes, & Schools


Childcare facilities and community homes for persons with disabilities are regulated by the Department of Public Health and Human Services (DPHHS), Quality Assurance Division (QAD).


Daycare centers

Childcare centers provide care for thirteen or more children on a regular basis. These facilities are licensed by QAD and annually inspected by a Registered Sanitarian (RS) from CCHD’s Environmental Health Division (EH). 

New childcare centers must go through plan review and be approved by EH before they can be licensed. A plan review application must be filled out and submitted, along with a $100 plan review fee, before any new construction or remodel of an existing building takes place.

Please fill out one of these applications for plan review:

Failure to submit these plans before construction or remodel may lead to costly mistakes; QAD will not license a new facility without approval from EH. EH should also be contacted before any major remodel or change of ownership to determine if a plan review and/or inspection is necessary.


Useful links

For additional information on childcare center inspections or plan reviews, call CCHD Environmental Health Division at 406-454-6950.


Group and Family Daycares

Group Daycares (7-12 children) and Family Daycares (3-6 children) must be registered as a daycare facility through QAD, but they are not inspected by a Registered Sanitarian. 

For Child Care Licensing/Registration information in Cascade County, please contact our local QAD Child Care Licensor.

Jodi Linne, Child Care Licensor

Phone: 406-453-0526

Fax: 406-453-0504


For additional information about licensing and daycare regulations, you can call QAD Child Care Licensing at 406-444-2012 or click here for the appropriate DPHHS-QAD webpage.


Group Homes

Group Homes for the Developmentally Disabled or Physically Disabled are licensed by QAD and annually inspected by a Registered Sanitarian. 

For information on Group Homes and Licensing, you can call QAD Residential Care Licensure at 406-563-4668 or click here for the appropriate DPHHS-QAD webpage.

Click here for the Group Homes Inspection Form.



Schools are not presently inspected by EHS; however, the Administrative Rules of Montana (ARMs) regulating schools are currently being revised.   

For information on school regulations, click on the links below and check back with for updates.