Air Quality

Outdoor Air Quality

The Air Quality Program in Cascade County is under contract with the State of Montana Department of Environmental Quality.  We continuously monitor the air for particulate matter (2.5 microns or less or PM 2.5).  This site is located at Overlook Park on Tenth Avenue South.

The PM 2.5 information is displayed on the “TODAY’S AIR” link below for “real time” air quality (within 1 hour).

We conduct emission inspections for minor point sources within the County.  These include gravel crushers, grain elevators, asphalt plants, crematoriums, etc.

Outdoor air quality concerns may also be directed to Environmental Health Services at 454-6950.


A major open burning permit is needed when:

  • Request to burn more than 100 acres of forest slash or more than 2,000 acres of agricultural burning in one year.
  • Request to burn clean, untreated wood by-product waste from a business, industrial or demolition project.
  • Firefighter Training Open Burning Permit-Request to burn material, including otherwise prohibited materials and structures at a sit other than a solid waste disposal site for the specific purpose of training firefighters that accomplishes a legitimate training need.

Please contact the City-County Health Department to complete the Open Burning Application.

Burn Permit FAQs

Click on the following link to purchase, renew, activate or edit a burn permit:

Montana’s Air Updates