Build A Basic Home Safety Kit
Do you have a plan if the power goes out or if disaster hits? It is a good idea to build a disaster supply kit full of basic household items in case an emergency strikes.
The idea of the kit is to get it assembled well in advance of an emergency. Depending on the emergent situation, you may be forced to make quick decisions and grab essential items. This means you won’t have time to search or shop for supplies.
You may even need to survive on your own after an emergency. This means having your own food, water and other supplies in sufficient quantity to last for at least 72 hours.
Local officials and relief workers will be on the scene after a disaster but they cannot reach everyone immediately. You could get help in hours or it might take days. Additionally, basic services such as electricity, gas, water, sewage treatment and telephones may be cut off for days or even a week, or longer. Your supplies kit should contain items to help you manage during these outages.
(information provided by ready.gov)
Build a basic home safety kit:
-Flashlight with extra batteries
– Several Candles with matches
– Water (at least one gallon per person per day)
– Food (enough for a 3 day supply of non-perishable food)
– Battery-powered or hand crank radio and a NOAA Weather Radio with tone alert and extra batteries for both
– First aid kit
-Medication (if not located in your first aid kit)
– Whistle to signal for help
– Dust mask to help filter contaminated air and plastic sheeting and duct tape to create a shelter in place.
– Moist towelettes, garbage bags and plastic ties for personal sanitation
– Wrench or pliers to turn off utilities
– Manual can opener for food
– Local maps
– Cell phone with chargers, inverter or solar charger
Don’t forget to add some puzzles, books, and activities to keep occupied! Remember, this kit is just a basic safety kit. For more information on kits for specific scenarios or locations visit www.ready.gov.
Store you safety kit in an easily accessible area. Store in a bin, preferably with a lid.