Get Breastfeeding Support from WIC
How Can WIC Help You with Breastfeeding?
- 5 Certified Lactation Counselors (CLCs): Certified Lactation Counselors have successfully completed a 40 hour training course and passed a test administered by the Academy of Lactation Policy and Practice.
- 1 Breastfeeding Peer Counselor: A breastfeeding counselor can teach others about the benefits of breastfeeding and help women with basic breastfeeding challenges and questions. A “peer” means a person has breastfed her own baby and is available to help other mothers.
- One-on-One Personal Support: CLCs are available to help with latch and other breastfeeding challenges during regular office hours. In addition, our Breastfeeding Peer Counselor can be available by email, text messaging, phone or home visit.
- Mother-to-Mother Support: Other breastfeeding mothers can be a great source of support. Mothers can share tips and offer one another encouragement. Come and enjoy our monthly Breastfeeding Support Group and exchange information and experiences and hear inspiring stories from other breastfeeding mothers. Our WIC Breastfeeding Counselor has a variety of fun activities and learning opportunities waiting for you. Become a voice for breastfeeding and inspire and educate other new mothers about the wonderful benefits of breastfeeding.
- Breast Pump Program: WIC may help with breast pumps for working mothers or mothers attending school.
- Breastfeeding Education: CLCs teach pregnant women and new mothers how to have a successful experience with breastfeeding.
- Nutritious Food Benefits: Exclusively breastfeeding moms receive extra foods from WIC to support their nutritional needs. Exclusively breastfed babies receive additional fruits, vegetables, meat and cereal from 6 through 12 months of age.
Benefits of Breastfeeding
There are many benefits to breastfeeding. Some are more beneficial to the mother, while others are more important to the baby. Click here to learn about the many benefits of breastfeeding.